Weekend Sewing


My mother, more commonly known as Nana around here, arrived this weekend to spend a little "girl time" with Carys and I. Frank and Jasper went camping up in the mountains, so we spread out here at home...leaving Nana's sewing machine set up on our kitchen table for the whole weekend we went to work, with fabrics strewn about and patterns being cut on the floor.


Nana loves to sew, and is always throwing around ideas of things that she can make for the kids. I help her with designing patterns and with fabric and color choices, we make a good team. The big project that we finished over the weekend was this gorgeous Kimono for Carys. The fabric is from an apron that I got years ago at Ikea, because I loved the fabric, I think that we put it to the perfect re-purposing.


Once Carys put on the finished Kimono it inspired lots of dancing, one dance involved waving a tissue, I imagine that could be because she saw me blowing my nose all weekend as I have been under the weather.


To make Carys's Kimono we modified a pattern for a baby kimono that we found in Heather Ross's Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching. This book is full of fun projects that can be done in a weekend or less, my mom and I already have a few more projects from the book in the works...including an amazing Obi belt for me.


Also on my sewing agenda, I am making another flip doll, this time as a Christmas gift for my baby niece. You will, of course, be the first to see how it turns out!

7 comments:

jacqueline said...

Dearest faith, it's always so inspiring seeing and reading all about your sewing adventure. I love this very cute baby kimono and the fabric is gorgeous!! Sounds like you are having a wonderful time with nana and Carys!! Loving this very sweet and warm post! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

Lauren said...

This all makes me warm and happy... Smiling... mostly because its all good vibes... and of course because I can imagine Nyjah and I getting along so well with you and Carys... and your mother... :) lovely... ♥ The kimono is adorable, great works... Such a cute pattern... and print... I'll have to check out that book... I have one right now from the library called "Sewing Green: 25 Projects Made With Repurposed & Organic Materials"... I keep renewing it, because I've been putting my energy else where, but the 'sewing-phase' is nearing... I can totally feel it... Thanks for the inspiration... always... Much LOVE...

Kellie Collis said...

That is adorable! I can't wait to see how the flip doll is going to turn out! Enjoy a lovely day, Kellie xx

Estelle Hayes said...

Your weekend of sewing sounds like an absolute dream (save for the sniffles part). That kimono is adorable and you've now inspired me. I have a pattern I've been wanting to attempt for Emerson. Kimono jammies but I like the idea of it being a dress. Hope you are feeling better soon and please do share your obi belt. I'd love to make one of those for myself someday.

Gina said...

That kimono is so sweet. I love the fabric. I would want to repurpose it too! The flip doll is adorable! Can't wait to see the new one.

Kerri said...

that little kimono is adorable- as is the model!! :)

makes me want to get out my sewing machine and try to seriously learn how to use it!!

Anonymous said...

*fabulous* I love kimonos. In fact, I made one for my youngest as a going home outfit. I've been a sewing mood lately, I might just have to make one for now...4.5 years later ;-)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.