Exploring our deck

We have come to my favorite time of year, when all of my favorite plants are blooming, the days are looong and my birthday is just around the corner. These are the days when I like to have coffee in the cool of the morning on our deck, while enjoying the bird song and small changes that have happened in the night. We found this just this morning...


And our sweet smelling lillies opened up the other day!


Our deck is really my favorite thing that we added in the renovation of our house. Here is what the back of our house looked like when we bought it...


Through a friend we found a very eccentric man who specializes in building decks in Brooklyn in the summer, and wintering in Costa Rica. He talked with us about our vision for the deck and then built this...


Our dream deck, right off of our kitchen, where we took out a window and added a large glass door so that we can walk right out. Most of the plants that I have out there are like old friends now after 5 years of growth, this year the daylillies that I have outside of the door grew taller than I am, and our cat Pepper spends most his time lounging luxuriantly somewhere on the deck.


There are places for both adults and kids to hang out, and always a toy or two laying about.



Seeds that we planted indoors in tiny pots back in March are now plants thick with flowers.


I am very much an adventurous and experimental gardener, so along with my perennials that live on the deck all year round, we have flowers and tropical plants that I like to grow and bring inside for the winter. We also grow grape tomatoes, strawberries, basil and rosemary.


More than anything the deck is my gardening playground, a place for us to get a little messy and unwind. We have been lucky that this year so far the Mosquitoes who can sometimes swarm the backyard in summer have not been bad yet. So we've had more carefree time out there.

Taking in the sun.

5 comments:

Kolleen said...

looks like a heavenly place to wake up with coffee in hand breathing in the beginnings of a new day!!

i absolutely adore that last picture of you and your sweet babykins!!!

happy day to you!!
xoxo
k

Anna-Marie Still said...

Thanks for visiting and leaving me some love on my blog...xx
I love that you've created such a sweet outdoor haven for your family. My aunt and 2 cousins used to live in Brooklyn - I remember going with my Grandpa to help them move here to RI when I was a little girl.

Lauren said...

Hi Faith... Your deck and surrounding greenery is beautiful... How lovely to have that space for your family... I love renoovations on homes, it's so exciting... I hope the mosquitos stay away so you can enjoy it lots more this summer. Find me on FB, I requested your friendship :) peace...

Anonymous said...

Faith, these photos are heavenly. Isn't being outdoors with the littles so much fun in late spring? Even here, where it's warm most of the time, I'm finding it difficult to be indoors working and blogging when we can sit and soak up the green beauty. I love all of these peeks into your world. Living in Brooklyn is the stuff myths are made of for some of us boho californians...XO

BananaSaurusRex said...

I love how wild and beautiful your back garden looks! Wishing you an amazing, low-mosquito summer! I almost wrote "mosquito-free" but that just seemed unrealistic!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.