Renovation: The Pink Princess Room


When we bought our new home here in Charleston it was fun that we were able to learn the history of the house. It was built by an older couple as their vacation home, and the whole upstairs was supposed to be for their daughter and her family when they visited, so the space is a bit unusual. Along with a bedroom and two bathrooms, there were a couple of large spaces that we imagine were intended as play and sleeping areas for their grandchildren. There are two spaces upstairs in particular that have taken us a while to figure out the best way to use. This large landing at the top of our stairs was one of them. Finally, we decided to build it into a bedroom for Carys...and we feel a little silly that we began the construction only a few weeks before baby number three is due!


I love to brag about my handsome husband's talents and construction is definitely one of them, he's so good at it and learned so much from renovating our home in Brooklyn.  So he got to work and very quickly finished the room, doing all of the construction himself, he's amazing!




He completed it over the course of just under two weeks, and then moved onto work on making another of those hard to figure out spaces into the baby's room, more on that in my next post!
Right now we are still waiting on the doors for Carys's room to arrive, and we're using a wooden asian style screen that I normally use in my studio as her door until then.


She picked a very sweet color, called "bunny nose pink" for her walls. Originally she had said that she wanted to have a mermaid room, but then the pink took over,


and with the canopy "princess" bed that we gave her for her 5th birthday last April, the same one that I had in my bedroom as a little girl, her room has evolved into a pink princess room.


Since she has always shared a room with Jasper I am so excited for her to have a place now to really let her girl-nature shine! She has her own closet now (still with no door), and many shelves to display toys and pretty things.



There's lots of organization still to come, but she and I are taking it slowly...I'm sure the decorating will continue after baby arrives.


She just loves it, and so do I!



7 comments:

Kirsten said...

Loving Carys' special room, she must be so happy! Very well done Frank - he is so clever and talented. The set of dolls on the shelf up high caught me eye - were they yours, and are they porcelain? I have inherited a huge set (maybe 40?) of these, that came from all over the world - each in traditional dress of the country they were from. They were my Grandmothers and I played with them as a girl and so was eventually given them...now in a box, still in Australia. Grandma's of course are much older and do not look in such nice condition! It made me think how much my girls would love them in their room. Looking forward to seeing Baby's room too! xoxo

Faith said...

Thank you Kirsten! Yes, those dolls were mine as a child, and I knew their value even then so even though I played with them I managed to keep them in good condition! They are dressed in different outfits from around the world, I wonder if they are the same or similar to the ones that you inherited! I've always loved them and it really makes me happy to see Carys enjoying them with a special place to display them too!

Lauren said...

I love this so much... She's so beautiful and your whole family is just precious.

Nina said...

Your husband does indeed a great job on your renovation! Nice to read about the history of the house and how you make it your own.
Carys´room has become a beautiful warm nest! I can see she´s very happy with it!

Emklim said...

Hi Faith! I've been reading your blog and thinking of you as you come to the end of your pregnancy. Time flies!

Carys has such a beautiful room now!! She looks so happy in the pics. I noticed the Mme Alexander dolls too and I have some of the exact same ones! I spy Beth from Little Women in particular if I'm not mistaken - she was my first doll, bought at a yard sale for a quarter and repaired by my dad. :)

I'm keeping you in my thoughts and sending you good mommy energy! Lots of love and luck to you.

All the best to you all,
Emily

beki said...

Wow, that looks like a perfect use of space! What little girl wouldn't love it?

Javier Bonnell said...

You are quite lucky to have such a talented spouse! His work is definitely remarkable. I’m sure Carys loved her new room! The room looks sweet and girlish and perfect for her. And the good part is she has some place to store her toys and dolls.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.