Season of light

The lantern festival for Jasper's Waldorf school was held this past Sunday evening. At dusk we gathered as a group at the base of an old tree in the park. As the sun set we helped the children light tea lights inside the lanterns that they (and we) had been making for the past couple of weeks. Then the magic happened.
The lanterns lit up their little faces and as we started to sing songs you could see that the children did believe that fairies might appear to join us at any moment.


We walked through the park, through fields and woods until we came to a spot on a hill where the "fairies" ;) had left a feast of sweet and savory treats...and some hot cider, those thoughtful fairies.

Of all of the seasonal festivals that we celebrate with our Waldorf group this is my hands down favorite. If I had my way we would gather in the park and do this 5 times a year! But I understand why it happens right now, at this special time of year. I can feel the turning inward, the focus on being together at home rather than outside, the season of harvest and preparing for winter is past, now we begin the advent season approaching the holidays...the season of light! It feels like a still point to me.

At the still point in the turning world...there the dance is.
-T.S. Eliot

4 comments:

Lori said...

How sweet is that? It seems just as lovely for the adults as the kids. The comment you wrote on my blog this last time really meant a lot to me. You have such a great way of expressing yourself with words. I called my husband and read what you wrote to him because it was so beautiful :)

Unknown said...

This sounds like a wonderful and fun festival! I adore those lovely lovely lenters. Such a nice way to end the season of harvest and begin the advent season! I love this.

We, here in Malaysia also have such a festival call Mid-Autumn Festival where chinese family members and friends will gather to admire the bright mid-autumn harvest moon, and eat moon cakes and kids will be playing and carring beautiful lenterns. :)

Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

Jacqueline
http://www.jqlinesocuteithurts.typepad.com/

Enchantedmama said...

Oh , there are definitely fairies there. How beautiful. Our waldorf school has their lantern walk on Firday eve. I look for ward to it as well. A time to celebrate the season of light but also prepare for the inward time which can be so nourishing. Thank you for sharing these photos.

Karla Tull Aron said...

What neat idea -- it looks magical. I'm sure I would start to believe in those fairies, too, with all those twinkling lights around me. Lovely way to mark the changing seasons and going into Advent. Reading this post is making me feel much more welcoming to the cold and snow that is just outside our door. It's a very special time of year where a little magic can happen.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.